Monday, February 25, 2013

Answering Objections: Rights Still Protected



OBJECTION:  "Yeah,you don't mind your community making the rules until they do something that you don't like.  You don't mind until your local community supports gay marriage, illegal immigrants, and becomes a totalitarian state, or something else you don't like, then you mind. "

ANSWER: Correct. It is not up to the rest of my community to adjust themselves to my preferences as to where lines ought to be drawn. To some extent, I should also adjust to them. That is my premise. Is the idea that everyone else ought to adjust to my preferences a more reasonable view?  And if I disagree vehemently enough on where they draw those lines, then perhaps I should not be living there in misery and making them miserable.  

Note that none of this applies against the recognized rights in a Republic. That is to say, each individual can stand against the majority as it pertains to the society not obeying their own rules regarding what rights they recognize. But it would be the constitution of the state, or as regards to the national government the nation, which lays out what rights are recognized. 

I can lobby for the recognition of other rights, but the majority is not bound by my belief of what my rights ought to be, but only by the plain language of the compact which brought the society together. I.E. they are bound by what the law is, but not by what I think it ought to be.

I am a little perplexed as to what you propose that is better than what I am proposing. Are you suggesting as a "solution" forcing everyone in all places to live under your personal preferences as to where the lines ought to be drawn?

No comments:

Post a Comment